Hispanic Heritage Month 2023
“Recognizing and Celebrating Latin@/e/x and Hispanic Contributions to the IL Economy”
Illinois is honored to continue celebrating our diverse Latin@/e/x and Hispanic communities in observation of Hispanic Heritage Month September 15th – October 15th as well as amplifying Support Latino Business Day on September 14th - a national call to action that acknowledges and encourages support for Latino-owned businesses. This monthlong celebration includes a series of events focused on empowering Latin@/e/x and Hispanic-owned small businesses, highlighting and uplifting community leaders, organizations, and business enterprises throughout the state, as well as, furthering connecting new and existing businesses with resources to assist them to grow and thrive.
DCEO Resource Fair Discussion
Wednesday | September 20, 2023 | 10am – 11am | virtual event| Register
Want to learn more about all the resources that DCEO has to offer you directly from the people who work with these programs? Come and meet DCEO experts on the department's various programs for small businesses. They will share information on business assistance, funding, tax incentives, workforce, etc.
(in Spanish) Discusión sobre la exposición de recursos de DCEO
jueves | 21 de septiembre de 2023 | 2pm – 3pm | evento en línea| Regístrese aquí
¿Quiere obtener más información sobre todos los recursos que DCEO tiene para ofrecerle? Ven para escuchar directamente de las personas que trabajan con estos programas de DCEO. Venga y conozca a los expertos de DCEO en los diversos programas del departamento para pequeñas empresas. Compartirán información sobre asistencia empresarial, financiación, incentivos fiscales, mano de obra, etc.
Small Business Workshop
Tuesday | October 3, 2023 | 6pm – 7:30pm | Valladolid Banquet Hall, 6254 S. Archer Rd., Summit, IL | Register
Looking to learn about what resources are available for your business? Join us for a workshop to learn about supports and funding available to small businesses in Illinois. Hosted by State Representative Abdelnasser Rashid, Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity (DCEO) - Office of Minority Economic Empowerment (OMEE), Summit Chamber of Commerce, and Valladolid Banquet Hall
Support Latino Business Day & Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month Tool Kit & Resources
In the link below you will find tips, sample social media posts, graphics and ideas on how to celebrate and promote Support Latino Business Day as well as Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month!
- Mercados (Markets)
- Festivals happening across Illinois - check out our Office of Tourism webpage for more information where you can support more Latin@/e/x and Hispanic owned businesses, click HERE or HERE.
- Hispanic Cultural Heritage Itineraries
Business Assistance Needed?
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) – They are centers located across the state that provide no cost business counseling. They can assist you with a business plan, marketing, financial book keeping, finding grants, how to start a business, how to grow your business, etc. Here is more info on SBDCs: Illinois Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) - First Stop. To find one near you go here: https://viewer.blipstar.com/blipstar?uid=5161672.
- Please note, there are many SBDCs that do provide Spanish assistance. If you need help finding a SBDC that provides assistance in Spanish, please contact Diana Alfaro, email@example.com.
- Apex Accelerator (formerly Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTACs) - They provide at no cost assistance to businesses who want to get into the world of government contracting and assist with certifications like getting certified as minority/Latino/a/e/x or Hispanic owned. For more information, please click HERE. To find one near you, please click HERE.
- Community Navigators – is a support program to assist small businesses in particular, minority, women, rural, and veteran owned businesses. They provide outreach to raise awareness on federal and state programs, provide 1 on 1 technical assistance, etc. For more information, please click HERE.
For more information on Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month and Support Latino Business Day events planned for businesses, contact Diana Alfaro, the Latinx Business Development Manager, at Diana.Alfaro@Illinois.gov or to learn more about ongoing resources and programs for businesses, follow DCEO on social media @IllinoisDCEO.