Economic Development for a Growing Economy Tax Credit Program (EDGE)
The Illinois Economic Development for a Growing Economy (“EDGE”) program is requiring companies certify regarding the company’s payroll submission prior to obtaining EDGE credit. Please complete this form and return the signed document to: CEO.EDGE@illinois.gov prior to credit being issued. Please note, in order for EDGE credit to be issued, we must have a signed certificate on file. If you have already sent us your payroll and Exhibit D, please forward your signed Company COVID-19 Payroll Certification to avoid any unnecessary delays in award of EDGE credit.
Illinois’ EDGE program provides annual corporate tax credits to qualifying businesses which support job creation, capital investment and improve the standard of living for all Illinois residents. Initial qualification criteria require certain job creation and project investment requirements:
100 or Fewer World-Wide Employees
More than 100 World-Wide Employees
*Applicants cannot receive more in credits than the project investment.
The non-refundable income tax credit is equal to 50% of the income tax withholdings of new job created in the state. This percentage increases to 75% if the business expansion project is located in an “underserved area” census tract which meets one of the following four tests:
- Poverty rate of at least 20%; or
- 75% or more of the children in the area are eligible to participate in the federal free lunch or reduced-price meals program for a period of at least two (2) consecutive calendar years preceding the date of the application; or
- At least 20% of the households in the area receive assistance under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for a period of at least two (2) consecutive calendar years preceding the date of the application; or
- Average unemployment rate that is more than 120% of the national unemployment average, for a period of at least two (2) consecutive calendar years preceding the date of the application.
Additional credits are also available as reimbursement for qualifying training costs. Ten percent of eligible training costs of newly hired full-time employees positions at the project may also be included as part of annual credits. Qualifying credits are identified as costs incurred to upgrade the technological skills of Full-Time Employees in Illinois and include:
- curriculum development; training materials (including scrap product costs);
- trainee domestic travel expenses;
- instructor costs (including wages, fringe benefits, tuition and domestic travel expenses);
- rent, purchase or lease of training equipment; and other usual and customary training costs.
Note: Training costs do not include costs associated with travel outside the United States (unless the Taxpayer receives prior written approval for the travel by the Director based on a showing of substantial need or other proof the training is not reasonably available within the United States), wages and fringe benefits of employees during periods of training, or administrative cost related to Full-Time Employees of the Taxpayer.
Tax credits amounts are calculated on a case-by-case basis. EDGE credits are processed on an annual basis, for up to 10 years, based upon employment ramp-up plans outlined by the business and agreed to by the Department.
Beginning January 1, 2021, in accordance with specifications set forth in the Blue Collar Jobs Act (BCJA), there is available for eligible applicants New Construction EDGE credits for projects meeting additional required criterion. For additional information please contact CEO.BCJA@illinois.gov.
EDGE Tool Box
- EDGE Tax Credit Application
- EDGE Tax Credit Application spreadsheet (part C & D tables)
- EDGE Annual Reporting Requirements
- EDGE Exhibit D - Fillable pdf form
- EDGE Exhibit E Payroll Report
- Company COVID-19 Payroll Certification
- EDGE Tax Credit Certificate FAQs
- EDGE Vendor Diversity & Sexual Harassment Policy Report
- Illinois Corporate Accountability
- EDGE - COVID Guidance
- EDGE Tax Certificate Training Webinar 2024
- EDGE Tax Certificate Submission Form
For more information contact CEO.EDGE@illinois.gov.